Monday, July 12, 2010

World Cup and Netherlands: We catch up with some Californian fans

In a crowd of thousands here in Amsterdam, I managed to find a few locals from Northern California.

In Rembrandtplein aka Rembrandt Square, we bumped into Paul and Gina Gamble and their daughters. They were visiting from Oakland. After visiting several different countries, they made a stop in Amsterdam just in time for the World Cup Finals.

"It's bringing the country together," said Paul Gamble. "It's a spirit that is beautiful. I feel lucky to have the opportunity to celebrate the true spirit of international competition--football. It's not about money. It's about national pride."

Gamble and his family have been in Amsterdam for four days.

Here's a short video clip/interview with Gina Gamble.







Meanwhile, I connected with Julie Tam of Grass Valley via the internet. She's a student of UOP and she's in Amsterdam for the summer for an internship.

"I am working as an Intern for the non-profit Aflatoun, an organization that promotes children's financial education all over the world," said Tam in an email.

Here is her take on the big game.


"I had the amazing opportunity to see the final game at Museum Plein, a park here in the city, with thousands of other people. Everyone was wearing orange, dancing, and cheering; there was so much energy. I have never seen so much national pride! At the same time, not everyone there was Dutch," said Tam. "There were people from all over the world in Amsterdam on Sunday to support the team. The collective disappointment when Holland eventually, dare I say unfairly, lost was heartbreaking. I really wanted to see the team win. Even though I am not Dutch, Amsterdam has become like home to me. I guess you could say I caught the "orange fever"!"



Abram van Eijk is a former Modesto resident, is also now in Amsterdam.

He talked about the chance to witness Netherlands in the World Cup finals.

"As for the Netherlands in the finals, that was a bit of a heartbreak! There was an electric atmosphere standing amongst the 140,000 or so people in th Museumplein in Amsterdam watching the game on Sunday and when Spain finally capitalized, the energy was just completely taken away. " said Eijk. "There weren't even cries of despair--it was more just an eerie silience and it continued that way through the city."


-Suzanne